Saturday, October 8, 2011

Portland Saturday Market...

On Saturday, October 8 Allan wrote...


Today we had a beautiful sunny day in the mid-60's after an entire week of gray clouds and rain, day and night. We headed out to the Portland Saturday market, which is all about crafts, artisans and--oh yeah--more dreadlocks, tattoos, beards and hippy styled folks than I've seen since 1965. Nice. Peaceful people. Social conscience.

The market runs from March until Christmas eve every Saturday and Sunday. It's on the Willamette riverfront and was filled with people seeking sunshine after a dull week of rain. Becky bought a skirt and I picked up a tie-died t-shirt for my little four-month old grandson. After some wandering we stopped at the Mayflower Cafe for an early dinner, then headed home.
_______

I've spent quite a bit of time writing articles during the last week, most of it for IdeaLaunch and Constant-Content. I've had a lot of help from Bernie--the cat who likes almost everyone he meets.
Bernie seems to think (if I can wax anthropomorphic for a moment)
that sitting on my keyboard will somehow get him even more attention
than usual. Or maybe he just wants to get his POV into the article.
I don't know, but he is very determined.
Then, if dominating the keyboard isn't
enough, he climbs up on my shoulder and
just hangs out while I think and type. Hmmm.
Some kinda wonderful cat companion.







Today I took the dogs for a walk up the long hill that leads to the blackberry patch. There's an uncut field that runs along-side the path we took. Right at the margin of that field there are occasional stunted, scrappy blackberry bushes growing--in spite of having been bush-hogged the last time the field was cut. They're only a couple feet tall and have very few berries on them.  Yet Diesel, the lab/retriever mix, must have had a hunger for fresh fruit. He happened to pass by one of those tiny bushes, sniffed around until he found a berry or two, then ate a few of them right off the plant. To my surprise, he walked another 20 yards, straight over to another lone bush, and again snatched the berries off the bush. And again a few yards further up the hill.

I've never seen a dog eat blackberries. He does like raw carrots, and always searches for a certain kind of grass to eat when we take him on his walks up and down the road.  I was curious why dogs might eat grass and things that grow from the dirt. One web site had this strange explanation:  "...because dog diets are primarily made up of herbivores, that grassy taste [dogs seek] may be reminiscent of the cattle or lamb product they had for dinner." Personally, I think he's eating to get the balance of fresh food and fiber. Who can tell?





No comments:

Post a Comment