Sunday, July 15, 2012

Packing "Heavy"...

After three wonderful months house sitting in Jupiter, FL it's time to move on. The very kind and likeable homeowners for whom we house sat, Aleta and Steve, returned from their ocean cruise and visit to Chaing Mai, Thailand that began back in April on June 13th. 

Becky left Jupiter to begin a new house sit in the Wilmington, NC area a few days before the Florida house sit ended. So once again, Allan became the house cleaner and straightener-upper, putting everything back in place for Aleta and Steve. During that process their lovable male cat, Polaris, realized something weird was going on: suitcases and boxes were being packed up, Becky was "missing" and the routines of his life were all messed up. He seemed to get a bit concerned and somehow climbed or jumped to the top of the 7-foot tall TV console in the living room. Stuck up there, he called out for help until I helped him get back down to the floor. I have no idea how he managed to get up that high.


Then, an hour later I couldn't find him anywhere and got a bit worried that he may have sneaked outside somehow and run off.  After looking everywhere I found him nestled in the clothes washer with sheets and towers about to be washed.

So...yes...the pets do know when something is changing  But even if homeowners and house sitters coming and going creates a little stress, it's nothing compared to the discomfort most pets would have at a boarding kennel. Not to mention -- it would cost a small fortune to board pets for three months at a time.

I asked Aleta how they managed to pack everything they needed into a single backpack for each person. She kindly and without laughing at the monstrous pile of Becky's and my "stuff" that I had to somehow cram into my car explained that you need to look at everything you think you need two or three times. Then if it still looks like you need that item, pack it. But only pack one of three things you really think you'll need.  I like that advice and will take it seriously the next time we leave home for any length of time.

Here's a video of the "heavy packing" I had to do as I left Jupiter for the new Wilmington house sit.



Next time I'll leave lots of stuff at home and am determined to get all the clothes I need into a single bag. That leaves just my PC and/or laptop, iPod and a few others little items to carry along. 

Of course if the destination is a beach area, you can bet the trunk will be carrying our beach umbrella, towels, flip-flops, SPF30 sun block and all that's needed to enjoy the sea, sand and surf :)



No comments:

Post a Comment